Voices for Death Row Inmates Banner of Hope

Voices for Death Row inmates got together with London artist Carrie Riechadrt and came up with the idea of a Hankies for Hope banner ... this banner is made from cotton hankies .. hankies being something we wipe tears of sadness away with. During the time the death penalty was in practice in the United Kingdom, the judge when passing a death sentence would place a black hankie on his head as he did so .
Each hankie represents a soul , a soul awaiting their fate or already executed . The name, prison ID number and State is written on the hankie. There are also birds flying free. Bird cages ,hearts , angels , candl
es , leaves and flowers painted onto the banner, again all symbolic.
They have been stitched together with orange ribbons between each one , orange being the colour of oppression and the colour of the jumpsuit a death row inmate wears when being moved from one place to another ... so this banner is very symbolic in everyway
This banner has grown over the last few months …but we want people to add the names of their loved ones and pen pals to the Banner of Hope.

If you would like to add a name of an inmate who has been executed or is on death row please contact us via our facebook page or via our website
Below see our Banner of Hope SO FAR!! More names will be added soon


The Banner of Hope So far

Translate

Saturday 22 September 2012

Donald "Duke" Palmer RIP



On 21st September 2012,  I lost a lovely friend. Donald Duke Palmer. To the media and many he was a double murderer. To me and many others we knew there was so much more to him that something he did when he was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol 23 years ago at the age of 20. I will write more about this soon when I can get my thoughts straight. I am happy Duke is at peace now. I am sad for his family, his f
riends and myself. The world is not a better place without Duke. His execution makes no difference to the world really. So why did they bother? The answer can only be revenge. Not justice. He had already served a life sentence as it was. So he was no risk to anyone.

Dukes Goals where: Enjoy life, no matter the circumstances, and die a better man.

You know what? I think he achieved that and so much more.

Sleep with the angels my friend. You are now with God

Karen x





May 8th, 2006  Monday, 


Seventeen years ago, today, my reactions destroyed four families; The Sponhaltz family, the Vargo/Stone family, the Hill/Nogy family, and my own family.

No one really knows how sorry I really am.

I was extremely sorry even before I was arrested.

As I watched my kids grow up without a father, I got to see some of the stuff Mr. Sponhaltz's and Mr. Vargo's children must have gone through. I thought of Mr. Sponholtz's children every year in May, because he was returning chairs borrowed for his child's birthday on May 8th, 1989.

I am so, so really sorry. 


That child grew-up with birthdays reminding him of his father's death. That child's mother trying to be strong for the child every May. Mr. Vargo's son was waiting to be taken to baseball practice.


I've always wanted to say "I'm sorry" to their families. Knowing it'll never be enough, but wishing to say it anyway. I never wanted to cause them MORE pain by writing to them.


I see my kids struggling to make their way through life without me. I can only hope Mr. Sponhaltz's and Mr. Vargo's children will find their way without THEIR fathers.


I would trade my life to undo the past. I'll end up giving my life for revenge. But, maybe my execution is necessary in order for the Sponhaltz and Vargo/Stone families to understand that hating me isn't the answer, nor the way to find peace. Maybe they'll figure that out once there's no one to hate anymore.


I never set out to kill Mr. Sponhaltz and Mr. Vargo. I never meant to kill anyone. But, I can't undo May 8th, 1989. I can only believe I am forgiven by God and go forward in my life. This is the 17th year I've felt all of this, and have thought of, and prayed for, both families. May God continue to bless them, and send His peace and comfort to each and everyone of them.


"Duke" 


http://ohiodeathrowinmate.blogspot.co.uk 

Goals: Enjoy life, no matter the circumstances, and die a better man. 



No comments:

Post a Comment